Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pour me a Tolmie one

Sometimes you need nasty weather in order to really truly enjoy the beautiful weather. This is what I like to tell myself when it's pouring down rain, windy, cold, and foggy outside. I guess it's always good to appreciate whatever is thrown at you. I've also realized the weather is either all or nothing. And your days depend not only on the weather, but the tides. We have no idea what day it is, or what time. Once you're on a boat and going through the motions, days and time slip away really quickly. All I know is that I'm happy we're warm, full, dry, and waiting out a gale to pass by Prince Rupert.

We passed through Queen Charlotte sailing our little hinnies off. It was a really great day. We had beautiful weather, lots of wind, and good music. We stayed at a cute little cove in the evening that we cannot pronounce.
 Oatmeal in the morning while crossing Queen Charlotte Strait
 Catching some waves while entering Hecate Strait


 Our little cove for the evening

We woke up really early the next morning to sail north through the amazing Tolmie Pass and up to the Bishop Bay Hotsprings. The only thing I can say about this day is : AMAZING!! It was the coolest pass I've ever seen and we were lucky enough to have some friendly visitors on our way. I would go back here in a second and stay forever. We liked the hot springs so much we decided to spend an extra day to soak in the springs, go on a hike, do some boat maintenance, and eat yummy food in the sunshine.
Passing through a small village called Klemtu in Tolmie Pass 
 Passing through Bella Bella 
Tolmie Pass 
 Gypies drying our stuff out







 I sat on my glasses the next evening :)

 The amazing hot springs

 Ben's having some fun!

 These flowers were all over and smelled so good. I'm guessing a form of calla lilly?
 The West Witch moored in Bishop Hot Springs
We were even spoiled enough to find some mussels at the foot of a waterfall. Thanks Ben on the good find! We cooked them in Rent's Due garlic, tons of butter, olive oil, parsley, and tossed them over a bed of pasta with broccoli and mushrooms. Yes, we were amazed too. I also think we're starting to look a little gnarly. Especially Ben. 

So, since we are back in civilization using internet, getting fuel, water, food, and beer, we have also heard that our good friends Adam and Annie have welcomed a new addition to their family : Ryland Bering Lain. Congratulations to you three! We are so excited to see you and meet Ryland. Also, my Dad will be flying into Ketchikan within the next few days. We are all really excited to see him and continue on with the adventure north. 

5 comments:

  1. I would have never guessed a hot spring would be out there! How did you guys hear about this place? I remember seeing dolphin's like this on my dads sail boat, it's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all so fortunate to embark on such an amazing adventure. It was good to talk with and see you all yesterday on Skype. Thanks for keeping us all posted. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are rockin' this adventure. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Salty Gang-
    Keep up the Stoke. No joke, we were reading your blog outloud to Ryland, thanks for the shout out! He can't wait for an adventure on the West Witch himself. We will see you guys soon. Stay fun and stay safe.
    Adam, Annie, and Ryland

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pictures are amazing Katilin! Looks like you guys are having a blast, the scenery looks breathtaking! Hope the rest of the trip is great and safe travels. And I hope you're glasses are okay, kinda a bad thing to break especially while in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete